W.T. Anders. The King Windmill. Balaklava, South Australia

W.T Anders - The King Windmill

W.T. Anders was born c1872. He first came to Balaklava, South Australia in 1890 and then after an absence returned in 1902 to work for Walter BLAKE at the Balaklava Foundry. William WILLIS was the son of a local Balaklava, South Australia farmer and trained as a blacksmith under Walter BLAKE in the 1880's. In the 1890's he took over BLAKE's blacksmith shop and soon developed his wooden bearing windmill. He advertised as the inventor and patentee of the KING Windmill. The business was acquired in 1904 by W. T. ANDERS. ANDERS was awarded a medal by the Balaklava and Dalkey Agricultural Show in 1906 for his windmills. These were erected as far away as Mannum, South Australia. His son Ted took over the business after his return from WWI. W. T. ANDERS died in 1961. The company W. T. E. ANDERS still existed in 1976, although by then it had been sold out of the family.
Photographed at Urlwin Park, Balaklava, South Australia on 4 October 2002 by B.G. Hewitson.
Back to gallery